5/1/08

Change back from my dollar?

I stopped to get gas the other day and the gauge showed the needle to be half way between a quarter tank and the E for "start walking". The price for regular was $3.37 and the way the prices have been rising lately I thought maybe I should bite the bullet and fill the tank, which would last me a little more than two weeks, even with not having the greatest mpg. I figured the tank to be about fifteen gallons and a little quick math told me it would cost in the range of forty dollars. I had already filled up once in the past for thirty four dollars, which for me was unbelievable, so I knew what to expect. I did have a fifty in my wallet, so I pulled it out, told the guy to fill it with regular and that it was a cash purchase. I sat listening to some jazz on WBGO and then heard the click of the nozzle, indicating it was full. I glanced at the pump and it said $49.60. OMG. He squeezed another forty cents in, I handed him my fifty, told him to have a nice day, and drove away. But, OMG. Fifty dollar bill and no change. OMG. I have gotten fifty before, but that was fifty cents worth, back when I first started to drive. I am glad I don't commute to work and now can feel the pain of those that do.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

aside from the astonishing prices....
wow, did you just use 'OMG' twice in your post?!

ray said...

Yes that is true, but the OMG is not said with the same intonation that you would hear from many people. Definitely not like Janice on Friends. But it is much more prevalent than you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2zxAJ1WyI&feature=related

Lauren Clerkin said...

I bet by summer's end we are paying close to $5 if not more. It is absolutely ridiculous. Guess most of our stimulus check will go to paying for gas on our way down to North Carolina.

Tracy said...

$50? holy cow! we're paying $3.94 out here...well, kev pays $4.05 now i think. i'm almost certain we'll be paying $5 by end of summer.

you're going to north carolina? sounds like fun!

Rick R said...

Feel my pain, brother, feel my pain.

LOL