4/5/08

Thoughts to ponder, continued

I was out riding my bike yesterday and for the first time in a long time had a canine experience. I used to carry pepper spray for fleeing from dogs, but haven't done so in many years. It seems as things become more urban, people have less of a tendency to let there dogs run loose. Thus it has been quite a while since my adrenalin has spiked from a pursuing dog. That brings me back to yesterday. Riding along, not on a rural road where I would be more wary of a dog, but in a developed area, I hear barking, look go my left and see a large German Shepherd mix bounding across the lawn angling toward me. Shifting into fear mode, I sped up and once past the property, looked back to see he had stopped. And that brings to me the thought to ponder.

If a person has their yard perimeter monitored by one of those invisible fences, does it really keep a dog inside? Does the dog simply sense it and stop? But will a large dog, traveling between fifteen and twenty miles an hour, bounding across the lawn, simply stop? Or because of his speed, will he hit the invisible barrier and be through it before he has a chance to stop? I know I could probably do a google search and spend time searching for answers, but I am content to ponder it on my own.

2 comments:

Lauren Clerkin said...

I too wonder about those fences and if the dog is smart enough could he/she just run fast and get through.
Let me know if you learn anything.

ray said...

Just a little research has provided the following:

Because dogs can easily leave a yard with a hidden fence if the maintenance is not done or if the dog has a high pain threshold combined with high prey or defense drives, some breeders and shelters will not sell or adopt dogs to be confined by these fences. The large guardian breeds are particularly likely to have the characteristics that make underground fences a poor choice of confinement.