7/2/07

Observation

Not an observation as defined by Webster, but just something I saw today. While out on my bike ride this morning I saw a snake. That's it, a snake. I would say a little over a foot long and slithering across the road in Middletown. I would guess that before I had gone another quarter mile he was road kill.

But what ever happened to toads. We used to call them hoptoads. There was a time when they were flattened on every road you went down, but not anymore. Rarely do you see one, either alive or flattened. And no longer is there a concern when mowing the lawn that you may fillet one. Nope, they seem to be gone. Pesticides?

1 comment:

Kevin said...

ah, very interesting observation. I remember as a kid seeing toads everywhere, flattened like you said hehe. Strange how they just disappear.