6/30/07

Modern Technology Rules

I went for a bike ride today, going out through Keyport and Union Beach as I normally do. Living where we do it limits me to the beginning of rides as to where I can go. North is out of the question because of the problem with water; northwest is out because I would have to ride on 35, which even at five in the morning on a weekend would be dangerous; so I either go out through Keyport, or cross 35 at Cliffwood Avenue. But that is not why I am posting this entry. For the past year I have had to alter my route through Union Beach because of bridge repair. It is actually bridge replacement. The two spots are on Stone Road and Union Avenue, which is really irrelevant. What I am totally puzzled about is why is it taking so long to replace a bridge? It is 2007 and with modern construction equipment it should be quicker than fifty five years ago. I say fifty five years ago because the construction of the New Jersey Turnpike from conceptualization to opening took a mere 25 months. Yes, only just over two years. THE WHOLE TURNPIKE! The ground breaking was in January 1950. The first 44-mile-long stretch, from EXIT 1 in Carneys Point Township north to EXIT 5 in Westampton Township, opened on November 5, 1951. A second 49-mile-long stretch from EXIT 5 north to EXIT 11 in Woodbridge opened on November 30, 1951, followed by a third 16-mile-long stretch from EXIT 11 north to EXIT 15E in Newark on December 20, 1951. The fourth and final nine-mile-long stretch, from EXIT 15E north to EXIT 18 in Ridgefield, opened on January 15, 1952. Frigging amazing. So why is taking nearly that long to replace two small bridges? Just boggles the mind.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

unions...it's always unions.

did you need to wiki all that info on the turnpike?
or is there a NJ Turnpike History site??

Kevin said...

oh, you should allow anyone to post...not just google account members