7/27/07

But they're high in protein

Interesting and noteworthy ride yesterday. I went out around three in the afternoon, thus avoiding the main cancerous rays of the sun. Usually I go out in the morning and am back by ten, but it looked like rain so I put it off until after the Mets noon time game. It turned out not to have rained in the morning, but was more like a marine layer from LA. Anyway, I went out at three with a planned route but not sure how long it would be figuring around one and a half hours or about twenty miles.

Two things of note on the ride. First, the finished ride was 21.2 miles which put my total for the year at 1112.5. What makes this noteworthy for me is that last year my total for the year was only 1097. This was due to the many days of not riding or riding low mileage because of back pain. In 2005 my total was 1898.2 and I hope to top that without a problem, but the 3049.8 of 2004 will remain out of reach.

Along the ride I saw that someone had put a small upright organ out at the curb for garbage pickup. It was not in good shape, but as I passed it I thought of things that might be done with it if I were a crafty person, like taking the keys and making something out of them, or using them as accents on a small piece of furniture. But soon my thoughts turned back to avoiding potholes and inconsiderate drivers. That will be a rant for another posting. About twenty minutes later I looked up ahead and there by the curb, believe it or not, was another upright organ, almost exactly the same as the first one. I marveled at the coincidence, first unique to see one, but then a second one on the same ride.

Then a bug flew in my mouth and gagged me.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

great post. do you have a tote bag attached to your bike at all? Bike riding would be the most opportune time to bring along your camera...I am sure you see a bunch of stuff along your rides...ala organs, street pizza, odd houses, beautiful trees....a union beach brdge that isn't complete yet...i am sure the list goes on. GET TO IT! :-)

Lauren Clerkin said...

your last sentence made me laugh :)

Anonymous said...

...and if you had a tote bag, you could collect those organ keys, taking them home for crafty people to conjure up great works!