7/4/08

Is it worth it?

This is another petrol posting. (I was going to say gas, but I prefer alliteration.) Yes, another posting about the high cost of fuel for your internal combustion vehicle. Yesterday I needed to get gas in my truck even though it was at half a tank. I usually fill it back up when it gets to half because of the fear that the price will rise and because of the shock that I would have to endure in looking at the total after a fill up. The gas station out on the highway, about a quarter mile from the house, is selling regular for $3.91. It is 3n gas. No, that is not the type of gas, it is the name of the station. I know there are some who say that these stations are more likely to water down the gas or cheat the customer in other ways, but I haven't seen any problems yet. But, that is not what I am writing about. Down the highway about a mile and a quarter there is a BP (a name brand) which is selling gas for $3.89, although it is the cash price, with credit being $3.93. Now we get to the crux of this posting and today's observation. The obvious dilemma is whether to drive the extra two miles (one each way) to save two cents on a gallon. A little simple math now. Half a tank in my truck is about eight gallons. Eight gallons at two cents per gallon is a grand total of sixteen cents. When you are spending nearly $4.00 for one gallon, and over thirty dollars for half a tank, a mere sixteen cents doesn't really seem worth it. Does it?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

i don't think it's worth it unless you are a real penny pincher. now with that said, do you have to drive past the place with the less expensive gas anytime soon? if so, then go there...if not, i'm all about convenience.

by the way, our convenient 76 gas station on the corner is selling gas for $4.66 a gallon...that's a whole 3 cents cheaper than it was last week! how exciting!!! now that you know how much gas is here in LA doesn't your complaint about $3.91 vs. $3.89 silly?

Lauren Clerkin said...

I too would probably go where it is more convenient.