3/6/08

Which is correct?

I was in the truck this morning and a promotion came on the radio having to do with the Yankees. Normally, and for obvious reasons, I would simply not listen, but something caught my attention. The question arose in my mind as to which is correct. Is it "I am a Yankee hater" or is it "I am a Yankees hater"? Of course I only use Yankees because it was a Yankees commercial. I could have used Brave/Braves, or Philly/Phillies, of Patriot/Patriots. It is just an example. But am I a Met fan, or a Mets fan? If I am a Met fan then one would ask, "which Met are you a fan of?". And despite ending that sentence in a preposition, it seems to bear out that Mets fan would be correct. But then a followup question would be the correctness of that without the possessive apostrophe. It would be Mets' fan. Or would it. In summary, putting together the conclusions I have come to in this short but enlightening post, I am a Mets' fan, and I am a Yankees' hater. BUT, I am also a Yankee hater. Which would lead one to ask the question, "which Yankee?". And that would be obvious, wouldn't it? Of course it would be really obvious if Mr. Steroid were still an active player, but without him it leaves only ARod. So, there you have it. I hope everyone has learned something from reading this post.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

wow that's a lot of hatred in one post! Maybe you, METS'S'S''SSS' FAN, should channel some of that hate into rooting for your team when they are in the dumps and not only when they're on top :-) Maybe they wouldn't be playing golf in october if their fans's's stood behind them when they went south.

Lauren Clerkin said...

That was quite a post. How come I can't write as well as you? And do you really think about these things??

ray said...

Okay, first of all there really isn't a lot of hatred in the posting. Maybe I should have used the term "dislike intensely". But you can't tell me you don't have a dislike for ARod and especially for Mr. Steroid.

You think I write well? Interesting considering I don't feel that way. And yes I do think about those things. Someone has to.

Kevin said...

yeah, you're right there wasn't much hatred. It was about how to convey hatred rather ;-). And yes i NEVER liked a-rod. As for clemens....sad really...just truly sad. I mean aside from being a yankee in his latter part of his career. He would have done this if he was on ANY team. So as a ball player, I feel sorry for him. His great career, work ethic, and honesty (up until roids) is now tarnished. I sincerely have no dislike for the guy..i think its more sadness. I always enjoyed watching him pitch, no matter what jersey he wore. oh well. but yes...sorry there really wasn't hate in your post.