3/7/08

Roundabout

Yesterday Pat and I were driving along Route 520, going from Route 18 to Route 35. If you aren't familiar with that I am not sure it really matters. Well, maybe it does. Along 520 there is an entrance to Brookdale Community College. I hadn't been past it in a few years, having ridden my bike in the area many times in the past, so when we approached the entrance I was flabbergasted. Yes, flabbergasted. I don't get flabbergasted much, but this was an exceptional case. The entrance off of 520 had always had a traffic light. But as we approached the college entrance I thought I was in the wrong area, because there was no traffic light.

In New Jersey, noted at one time for its many circles, or roundabouts, or rotaries, this was a very unusual site. Over the years New Jersey has eliminated nearly all of the circles on the its roads. So it was very surprising to see that in this day and age they have actually elminated a traffic light and in its place created a circle. Bizarre is the word that comes to mind. I would have loved to have been at the planning board meeting for that one.

Click here to see a map of the modern roundabout and how to maneuver through it.

After further research it seems that this new smaller circle is popping up in many states where traffic control is needed.  Amazing.  See some here.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

WOW. Very interesting. the road dept. / state seems very trusting of drivers these days. And I always thought the reason they did away with these circles and roundabout was because of lack of safe drivers.

very cool though.

Lauren Clerkin said...

That was done within the past year. Dave and I saw it when we went to the Christening in December.