1/20/08

The passing of Corporal Henshaw

I would like to take this time to recognize the passing of Allan Melvin last Thursday, 1/17/08. Most obits say he is best known for his role on the Brady Bunch, but having never watched that show, I remember him as Corporal Henshaw on The Phil Silvers Show, Sgt. Bilko's right hand man along with Cpl. Barbella, played by Harvey Lembeck. In my mind that is how he will be remembered, as well as for his role on All in the Family where he played Archie's friend Barney. But never for The Brady Bunch. In addition he also might be remembered for his voicing of Magilla Gorilla, as Drooper on The Banana Splits Hour, and the plumber in the Liquid Plumr commercials. But never for the Brady Bunch. At least not for me. He will be missed.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

i also remember him as Archie's friend Barney, NOT for the Brady Bunch. even though i did watch the show every now and then I don't remember him on it. And of course I remember Magilla Gorilla, but when I did watch that cartoon, i had no idea who did the voice of a cartoon or even that people did the voice for cartoons :-)

Rick R said...

I too was surprised when I heard the radio news report saying that he was known for being Alice's boyfriend and as Magilla's voice. He will always be Barney Hefner to me.

Lauren Clerkin said...

When I saw the picture I remembered him as Archie's friend as well. But now that Unce Rick mentioned that he was Alice's boyfriend I remember him on that show as well. Wasn't he a butcher?

ray said...

A little confusion in these comments, at least for me. When Alice is referred to, one can construe that to mean the character on the show Alice, when in actually Mr. Melvin was Alice's boyfriend on The Brady Bunch. He was indeed the butcher. If anyone else might have been confused by this I hope it is now cleared up.