9/26/07

Half full or half empty?

I have come to realize lately that I am a "half empty" person. Is it genetic, or is it my upbringing? Have I always been this way, or is it something that has manifested itself only recently due to life's circumstances or experiences? I had never really given it serious consideration before, but then over the past week, in watching the Mets squander away chances to win their division, it has become apparent that I am definitely a "half empty" person. The Mets will get men on first and second, one out, and I will be thinking "No way they will score. Double play, or a strikeout and a popup to end the inning." Instead of hoping for a positive outcome, I am predicting the worst. And if the opposition has the men on with one out, there is no doubt in my mind that they will score. Is it just rational thinking, knowing the Mets are going in the toilet, (see, pessimism is rampant), or am I viewing it that way because of my "half empty" mentality? And the more important question is, how did I get this way? And if it is genetic, did I pass it on to my children and grandsons? I must ponder this more.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

HAHA, maybe it is genetic....because I am the same way watching the yanks....I never gave it much thought. I just assumed it's the way a sports fan thinks. You always think your team is not going to pull through and at the same time you visualize the opponent being successful against your team. I think this is in part why a victory feels so great..it's because through many games we are doubting our teams success and talent. I don't think it is rational to sit there and think...my team is going to get that one clutch hit right now, or think, a month before the end of the season, that they'll finish on top by a 7 or 8 game lead. Fans who think like that are cocky and naive, in my opinion. In sports especially baseball...it's crazy and unpredictable. I don't think it's being a pessimist... its being a rationalist. I am sure I can go much deeper than this...but I will back out of the rabbit hole so I don't waste any more of one's time.

Tracy said...

personally speaking, i'm a "half full" kind of girl... an optimist if you will. AND i honestly don't think it's a genetic thing. rationlist schmationlist FOOEY! you are both looking too much into this - just think positive already!

Rick R said...

I'm a

"I'm not going to stop by on Saturday after visiting Mom because you'll probably be crying and your tears are going to fill a cup up half way"

type of guy.